Mentor Connor is teaching the setup this week. He’s put together a .zip file with the CanaryMod 1.2RC1 server, preconfigured so that it:
- Provides you with a flat world with no difficulty so you can focus on building.
- Requires you to whitelist any player who can access it.
- Has the ScriptCraft 3.1.1 mod already installed.
What do you need before you start?
- A notepad app that preserves Unix line endings. Microsoft Notepad won’t. We recommend TextWrangler for Mac and Notepad++ for Windows.
- The latest Java.
- A copy of Minecraft.
Before running the server:
- Unzip the file.
- In the top directory, change the text in eula.txt to agree to the EULA. (or it won’t run)
- Open a terminal window or “command prompt” and navigate to the top directory.
- In the terminal launch your server with
java -jar CanaryMod-1.8.0-1.2.0-RC1.jar
When the server launches:
- You may get asked for permission for it to access a network, we suggest limiting it to private networks.
- Op and whitelist yourself:
/whitelist add YourUserName
You should now be able to login to your server on 127.0.0.1 as its location.
Most of what you just read was adapted from “The Young Person’s Guide to Programming in Minecraft.” Most of this course will grow from there. In the next week, play with ScriptCraft and read this.